I know what you’re thinking…
Another muffin recipe!? What is this girl’s deal with muffins?
I’ll tell you…
The thing is… I’m not a morning person.
However, my two darling little people are indeed morning persons. They both bound out of bed each morning, filled to the brim with energy, chattering from their small morning voices to the tune of, “What’s for breakfast, Mommy?” and “Num, Num, Num, Mama!”
Muffins are my life savers.
As long as there are some yummy, easily accessible muffins in the kitchen, I get a few more seconds of quiet in the morning. And I treasure each and every moment of quiet I can get.
In my book, muffins are awesome.
Grain-free Egg-free Banana Muffins
This banana muffin is a little different from my other recipes.
It has NO eggs!
Yep, it’s true. This one is both egg-free and grain-free.
And kid approved!
To make these grain-free egg-free banana muffins, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
You’ll need three nicely ripened bananas. They should have lots of little brown spots. Grab an energetic kid to do the mashing for you!
Next add in 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup raw honey, and 1 TBS vanilla.
I used a chia seed egg substitute in this recipe. Because coconut flour is very absorbent I switched up the regular chia seed mixture to make it a little less “goopy”.
In a small bowl, combine 3 TBS white chia seed meal with 1 cup plus 2 TBS water. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before adding to the wet ingredients. For more detailed instructions, see my chia seed egg substitute post. Just remember to use this chia seed and water ratio rather than the regular ratio.
In a separate bowl, mix together 3/4 cup coconut flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, and 1 tsp. cinnamon.
Gently whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients, being careful to mix in any clumps of coconut flour.
Drop by spoonfuls into paper lined muffin tins and bake for 25 – 30 min or until lightly golden on top.
Before serving, let the muffins sit in the pan for about 10 minutes to retain their shape and cool.
And there you have it!
A wonderfully grain and egg free muffin that will hopefully get you a few more seconds of quiet in the morning!
If you prefer baking with eggs, use 6 eggs in this recipe instead of the chia seed egg substitute.
I made these muffins both with and without eggs. I prefer the texture of the muffin when the eggs are used. However, my kids could not tell the difference. If you make the recipe without the eggs and are bothered by the texture, I suggest serving it with butter and slices of banana.
If you try these, please let me know how you like them!
- 3 bananas
- chia seed mixture *see note!
- (or 6 eggs room temperature)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 TBS vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the bananas, chia seed egg replacer (or eggs), coconut oil, honey, and vanilla.
- In a small bowl combine the coconut flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined and there are no lumps.
- Drop the batter by spoonfuls into lined or greased muffin tins. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the tops are just golden.
- Chia Seed Egg Replacer
- *Grind 3Tablespoons white chia seeds into a fine powder in a coffee grinder or blender. Pour the chia seed powder into a bowl and add 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water. Let it sit for a few minutes until the mixture forms a gel.